The Sales Engineer helps support the company’s Partners and internal Sales and Solutions teams with experience in structuring and selling complex opportunities by providing expertise on technical and business requirements, proposal preparation support, and assisting with technical presentations.
This is a Mid to Senior level role — the Sales Engineer is a company-wide subject matter expert for: Cloud, security, data networking, hosting, colocation, virtualization, backup, managed services, and CPE solution design/engineering/consulting. The Sales Engineer may also provide technical training for Partners and the Sandler Partners team. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Sales & Complex Solutions. The company is headquartered in Redondo Beach, California. This position has the flexibility to be local or remotely based.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Technical Sales Planning and Support:
- Act as a technical agnostic resource for the company’s Partners and their clients to maximize sales growth and drive increased top-line revenue.
- Responsible for assisting the company’s Partners grow strategic product sales and revenue by serving as the technical liaison, with the goal of helping our Partners become their client’s trusted advisor.
- Work collaboratively and facilitate discovery discussions with Partners to understand and document their clients’ needs and advise on design requirements necessary for the formulation of optimal solutions for: voice, cloud voice and contact center, data (DIA, P2P, VPN, MPLS, SD-WAN, wireless), CPE requirements, managed hosting, virtualization, outsourced infrastructure solutions (managed and un-managed), colocation specifications, specialized enterprise application suites with Microsoft, Google, and other vendor solutions, managed backup, IoT, and public/private cloud services for their clients. This includes helping to determine client requirements and providing design recommendations and guidance.
- Advise Partners on solutions using the most optimal mix of the company’s range of providers’ solutions and products. The Sales Engineer may also help customize the solution design as needed to result in the Partner’s ability to present the most effective solutions to their clients.
- Assist with pre-sales design, discovery and implementation guidance including assisting in SoW in enterprise networks, and cloud services integration.
- Assist in guidance on RFPs including partner led RFP and vendor selection to help respond to RFP’s.
- May assist Partners with documenting and presenting complex solutions to their clients including recommending the benefits and gap analysis of the solutions presented.
- Proactively track and follow up with Partners, including deals engaged with along with any Partners prioritized by company.
- Technical Training and Development
- Continually develop and grow technical knowledge base in cloud voice and contact center, data (DIA, P2P, VPN, MPLS, SD-WAN, wireless), emerging CPE managed services, managed hosting, virtualization, outsourced infrastructure solutions (managed and un-managed), colocation specifications, specialized enterprise application suites with public cloud providers, including other industry leaders of cloud, managed backup, IoT, and public/private cloud services and other technologies needed to stay abreast of emerging trends for our industry and distribution network.
- Follow industry technology trends through self-study and formal training and share that knowledge with internal team members and Partners.
- Provide technical training and development support to Partners at events and as needed, including speaking in front of large groups (i.e., industry groups, tradeshows, panels, etc.).
- Strategic Planning and Implementation:
- May participate with Partners, company management and internal teams in strategic and tactical sales planning.
- Develop and maintain a deep expertise on the mix of capabilities offered by the providers in the Sandler Partners portfolio, their strengths, and weaknesses, and advise management on areas where the company has “gaps” in offerings. Recommend providers that should be considered as future additions to further strengthen the diversity of the Sandler carrier platform.
- Collaborate closely with the company’s internal teams to assist as appropriate with training, and technical solutions.
- Possess and maintain a strong technical background and knowledge of the characteristics of various applications that ride over data networks (i.e. the performance requirements of packetized voice and video and of various data applications). Utilizes that knowledge to help assist in selling and working closely with Partners developing new opportunities.
Competencies and Skills:
- Strong knowledge of internet working designs and their applications, to include Managed Hosting Services, Cloud, Virtualization, outsourced infrastructure solutions (managed and un-managed), specialized Enterprise application suites, IP subnetting and complex routing techniques on LAN/WAN networking concepts, IP Telephony, Security, network diversity and resilience, applications and other technical skills documented above.
- Consultative selling and customer questioning techniques in order to identify and qualify new opportunities, help our Partners sell deeper within existing accounts with multiple services, creating solutions, and maintain the role of trusted technical advisor to our Partners.
- Industry leading certifications preferred (Cisco, Juniper, and others).
- IP routing and switching.
- SD -WAN, VPLS, MPLS, and IP VPN architecture.
- UC and CCaaS solutions and knowledge of industry marketplace.
- Voice, Data and VoIP technologies and services.
- TDM, SONET and Ethernet technologies and products.
- Customer premises communication (data, video, voice) equipment from major vendors.
- Data center infrastructure and networking.
- Big Data, Middleware, and Object Storage understanding.
- Understanding of IoT (Internet of Things) and AI (Artificial Intelligence) offers and practical use.
- Managed Hosting Services, Public/Private Cloud, Virtualization, Outsourced infrastructure solutions including specific industry leaders like Microsoft, Google, IBM, AWS.
- SAN, NAS, and Cloud Storage Solutions.
- Security framework (NIST).
- Ability to document requirements for SoW and Solution Designs.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field preferred.
- 6-10 years of experience in sales engineering, systems engineering (Cloud, Hosting, Managed services, networking services, telephony, IP networking equipment) preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail oriented combined with the ability to effectively balance multiple projects.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proven ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
Compensation and Work Schedule:
Sandler Partners offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. This position can be based remotely. This position requires the ability to travel 25% of the time (or when needed).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Sandler Partners, one of the largest master agencies in the telecommunications brokerage and consulting industry, is seeking a Sales Engineer to join our team. We are a dynamic, high-growth company who has been consistently included on the annual Inc. 5000 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies for each of the last several years.
Submit your information below:
Disclaimer: The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
EOE Statement: Sandler Partners, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or protected military/veteran status, genetic characteristics, ancestry, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.